By Masara Kim

Nigeria: The horrors of last Thursday's attacks in Ancha, Miango village near Jos Rukuba barrack have continued to live with the survivors.

Many of them have managed to live with the realities of having to live without their loved ones but still grapple with the horrible memories of the incident.

The night of the attack was just as quiet and tranquil as any other, with only the sounds of crickets and waving leaves of plants in the air.

Little did the villagers know that in the seeming silence and serenity of the night, a loud terror was lying in wait.

The attackers had probably camped in the bushes, planning and waiting for the right time to strike.

"They came from the hills,"an eyewitness said, pointing to a mountain near the village which borders the Fulani settlement in the community.

As they arrived, the attackers, armed with machetes and AK47 rifles reportedly split themselves into squads and spread out into the village.

Their first set of victims according to eyewitnesses were a couple and grand child.

They reportedly slashed down their zinc window with a machete and fired sporadic shots into the bedroom.

Afterwards, the attackers forced down the door by hitting it with their legs.

They used machetes to hack down the already wounded occupants of the house, said a survivor.

In another house, a husband and wife were slain along with their seven children including a daughter-in-law.

Their only surviving son, 14 year old Emmanuel Ishaya said he was in a different room with his elder brother when they came.

"We heard gunshots and woke up.

"I told my brother we should run through the window but he said no.

"I went out through the window when they had already started hitting hard on our door.

"All I heard was a gunshot as I ran out," he said in vernacular through an interpreter.

According to the survivor, he ran to take refuge in his senior brother's room but realized he had been killed along with his wife.

"They killed my brother and wife and kept their sleeping child (8 months old) on their corpses.

"I quickly picked him and ran into the bush because I knew if he woke up and cried, they might come back for us because they might have left him for dead," Master Ishaya said.

Emmanuel's mother, Mrs. Lami Ishaya was killed in a room, adjacent that of Emmanuel after the attackers broke down their door by kicking it.

They first slashed an aluminum pot by the door containing freshly prepared gruel.

They used machetes to butcher them and their two kids sleeping in the same room.

Other children, as their father, Ishaya were traced to other rooms outside the parents' building and killed.

"Denied rescue of kids"

In another house, the attackers slew three kids and a 16year old SS1 student of a government secondary school in the area.

The student was shot in his room where he was sleeping along with his brother when the attackers came and kicked the door open.

His brother who was still nervous and speechless when this platform visited escaped by climbing the roof and hanging upon the rafters.

When they entered, he said they shot his brother who was running helplessly in the room, with no escape route as the room had no window.

Parents of the other three slain kids, Mr. and Mrs. Barry John were sleeping in a room few foots away from their kids' which shares walls with that of the slain SS1 student.

They reported that they heard gunshots and voices of their dying kids being hacked down but were helpless.

Mrs. John said her husband wanted to go to their rescue but she disallowed him persuading him to go out through the window.

He left the room minutes before the attackers gained access after killing the kids and wounding three others in the compound, including an aged woman.

"When they were done, they sang songs of victory before moving to the next compound," Mrs. John said.

"They were singing in Fulani language and I couldn't pick the words but I believe they were celebrating because they sounded happy as they sang and fired shots in the air," she recalled.

Mr. John's family in all lost over 10 members in different houses in the same pattern of attacks, it was learnt.

Those killed in the village totalled 21 according to statistics collected by this platform but Police say the corpses were 19.

This platform got its statistics by going on a house-to-house data collection when it arrived the village few minutes after the mass burial of the victims.

The figure does not include an attack on two young men near GSS Miango, some kilometers away from Ancha.

They were reported to have been shot on a bike by gunmen believed to be the same Ancha attackers when they (youths) ran into them (Fulani) on their way out of the village.

One of the affected died on the spot while the other was still missing as at the time of filing this report.

The attackers are believed to have fled towards the Rukuba barracks in Miango through a military checkpoint near the scene of the attack on the youths on bike.

No security intervention was however accessed until the arrival of police from Jos hours after the attackers had fled.

"Attacks, Govt. Failure"

A group, Middlebelt Value and a German-bases Nigerian IT Specialist, Dr. Daniel Kutchin have attributed the growing insecurity in the country to government's failure.

According to the Middlebelt group, the Nigerian army's recent  announced return of operation python dance in the South East was a misplacement of priority.

"Why send an army against defenceless citizens instead of against killers?

"Why is it difficult for the powerful Nigeria army to stop Fulani Herdsmen?"it said in a statement signed by its National Coordinator,
Mike Akatu and three others.

Dr. Kutchin said in an interview, "No true peace and economic security can be realized without perceiving the rule of law and protecting life and property.

"It is the duty of the Government and Governments must stand to be measured by how the protect everyone in the community in which they administer."

The Nigerian police had announced the deployment of operatives in the affected village to forestall further breakdown of law.

It has however not announced any arrest, but the commencement of investigations into the crime.

Many similar cases in the past where securities announced investigations mostly ended in silence.

Whether this is going to end in like manner, only time will tell.