The Irigwe Development Association says it is dissatisfied with the operations of the military in Bassa LGA following recent repeated attacks by suspected Fulani.

Addressing a press conference on Monday after an early morning attack in Nkiedonwhro village where at least 23 people were killed and houses burnt, the association questioned the reliability of the military.

The group through its Chairman, Sunday Abdu said it does not doubt the capacity of the nation's military to safeguard the lives of the civilian population but demanded a prove of their existence.

"We are not questioning their capacity or sagacity.

"We are only saying that if we have securities in this country, let them prove it to us," it said.

The IDA questioned the motive behind the recent curfew imposed on the local government by the state government, saying it has given the assailants freehand to operate while holding the locals from defending themselves.

It expressed worry over the manner government has responded to the conflict in the LGA, fearing the possibility of a large scale humanitarian disaster in the state.

It therefore called on other ethnic nationalities in the state to rise up in defense of the vulnerable groups, to safeguard the future of the state.

The Monday morning attack in the locality was said to have been carried out in a Primary school used by the Special Task Force (STF) as an operational base.

Sources say women and children had been camped by the military in the school after rumours of attack were received.

While taking refuge in one of the classes in the school, the soldiers reportedly withdrew from the premises thus leading to the killing of about 26 people by gunmen.

Three other people who reportedly escaped from the classroom attack were ambushed and killed some meters away from the school, sources say.

The alleged complacency by the military follows the killing of a young man last week Wednesday in a nearby village by a member of the STF over a girlfriend, according to reports.

Women in the community had on Thursday last week staged a protest demanding for the withdrawal of the army from the village after a similar exercise by youths on Wednesday night.

The state government responded to the situation and other instances of attacks in the locality through the imposition of a dusk to dawn curfew.

More attacks have however been reported indiffereny villages in the LGA ever since, forcing the government to issue a statement expressing worry, where it also described the activities of the assailants as terrorist.

Earlier Report by this platform:

About 23 people are believed to have been killed in a fresh attack in Nkiedonwhro, Irigwe chiefdom of Plateau State's Bassa LGA.

The attack said to have been carried out by suspected Fulani occurred at the early hours of Monday.

The latest is about the 3rd in a series of attacks in the LGA since the state government imposed a curfew therein.

The government had imposed the curfew to check such incidences of attacks.

It had on Sunday released a statement saying the attackers were hiding among the locals.

In the statement signed by its Director, Press and Public Affairs, Emmanuel Nanle, the Simon Lalong led government vowed to fish out the attackers.

The latest incident therefore poses a fresh challenge for the government in its quest to rid the state of violent attacks.

As at the time of filing this report, no official statement had been received on the incident in Nkiedonwhro.