The Nigerian Police Force says it has mobilized troops to quell reported unrests in parts of Jos, the Plateau State capital.

Spokesman of the Plateau State Police Command told MKB in a telephone interview that the Force was in receipt of news of disturbances in the Northwestern part of the city.

"The situation is under control," he said.

Although details of the unrest were not revealed, eyewitnesses say gunshots were heard between Lamingo junction and Angwan Rukuba area near University of Jos staff quarters, Sunday noon forcing residents and commuters to scamper for safety.

A University of Jos student said she ran from the Lamingo junction following the gunshots to British America junction on foot.

Another source said "I saw people running and I was told that someone was killed."

Officials have not confirmed any casualties but hospital sources say two casualties were rushed to Bingham university Teaching Hospital at about 1:30pm local time with machete wounds.

The Student Union Government of the University of Jos has in response to the reports called its members to remain indoors.

"Reports reaching us is that the JOS metropolis is once again in a state of unrest.

"It is on this note that the SUG president Pantu Fwangshak  advice all *jossites* to remain within the four walls of the University until further information is passed," a social media statement attributed to Mr. Kwalmi Kelvin Kwande, the SUG Public Relations Officer says.

The Plateau State Government has imposed a dusk to dawn curfew on Friday following violent protests that reportedly resulted in some deaths.

A police station was said to have been razed when youths from the Northeastern part of the city staged violent protests against the killing of 15 people in a suburb near the Jos Rukuba Military barrack.

The curfew was yesterday relaxed by 4 hours following the return of "relative peace".

The renewed violence follow the discovery of the car of a missing army General, Major General Alkali in a pond in the outskirts of the town.

It is not clear if his body was equally found in the pond after several days of search by the Nigerian army.