The Nigerian Army Division in Jos has threatened to clampdown on media outfits disseminating news information "injurious" to its 'hard earned' image.

It particularly warned against "fake news" and comments online and on traditional media by "mischief makers" against it.

The army's threats are contained in a press statement by Col. Kayode Ogunsanya, the Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, 3rd Army Division, Jos wherein a news report by some newspapers alleged that soldiers killed a 35 year old woman in the community where search for the missing General Idris Alkali has been centered.

The statement dismissed the reports as "a deliberate falsehood and an attempt to portray the Division in bad light."

It also protested against quoted comments in some of the reports attributed to eyewitnesses in the community alleging that soldiers ransacked and stopped residents from accessing their homes, burgled their shops and ate their livestock.

The Army authorities therefore sought the publishing of its "rejoinder" statement in order to correct the "erroneous impression" created by the news reports.

Col. Ogunsanya was however contacted via text message asking if the Division had carried out proper investigations into the allegations to ascertain the possibility of unprofessional conduct by its men on the field or decoy by criminals using fake army uniform.

The text equally enquired if Toro Local Government Area in Bauchi State where the missing General had been reported by the army to have been when he disappeared was equally under investigation.

There was also a question on whether the army headquarters had yet to find the precise location of the General's phone given the GPS coordinates generated by an earlier tracking operation it had claimed to have initiated that led it to Du-rah community in Jos South which it currently investigates.

The text message which was later followed up with a reminder six hours later was however not responded to.

The Army Division had arrested and detained dozens of people in and around the community.

A journalist working with Punch newspaper and a pregnant woman were among the detained.

The arrests were made on roadsides and relaxation centres, it was learnt.

While the pregnant woman and the journalist have been released, the army have intensified search and detentions while claiming they know the "culprits" connected to the case.

The arrests and detentions have been protested by activists and the National Assembly as "arbitrary".

The Army Division has however insisted that it will leave no stone unturned to locate the whereabout of the missing retired officer "despite the antics of the fifth columnists."