A Federal High Court in Zuba, Abuja has awarded a N2m against the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Ahmed over "unlawful" arrest and detention of one Mr. Anthony Agwu for about two years now.

Mr. Agwu was reportedly arrested and detained by Police in January 2017 for yet to be identified reasons, and had yet to be released as of the time of the judgment last two weeks.

No access was granted to his lawyer or anyone seeking to see him in custody, it was learnt.

Barr. John Maton of Yakubu Philemon & Co., a Law firm based in Abuja therefore filed a case on the matter, seeking reliefs and an immediate release of the detained.

Having given excuses and failed to appear in court several times, the court decided the matter in the absence of the defendants.

By motion on notice it was brought to the court's knowledge the applicant seeks the reliefs so sought in his application.

Grounds for the reliefs sought as mentioned in the application shows the applicant has been in detention, and the affidavit deposed to by his fiance supports the applicants claims.

The applicant had in his motion argued that continued illegal detention is a violation of his Fundamental Human Rights, thereby urging the court to grant the reliefs sought.

"Right to Personal Liberty is jealously guarded in the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

"The CFRN gives instructions that must be adhered to by all armed forces and security agencies, infringement of such is unconstitutional.

"Any person lawfully arrested & detained deserves compensation and an apology for such harassment," he argued.

The court in determining the matter held that there were many examples people in public service, security agencies and armed forces were cautioned against abuse of power and lack of respect for due process and the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria in the guise of carrying out their duties.

The court therefore granted the reliefs sought by the applicants Lawfirm, awarding a 2million naira fine with 10% interest for every month of default of payment as compensation for damages suffered. 

The sum of N200, 000 was also charged the defendants as legal fees.

As of publishing time, attempts to get the Nigerian Police authorities to comment proved abortive as available phone lines were unreachable.