Demolition and explosive experts from South Africa are for the 'controlled' demolition of the burnt down Jos Main Market on Saturday, officials say.

Tonnes of explosives are being deployed according to work plans to ensure "safe and efficient" demolition, Mike Pekins, Lead Demolition engineer for Mamco Wreckers Consortium and Kyle Pekins told journalists in Jos, the Plateau State capital.

The State government last week warned civilians to stay 200 metres away from the market on or before 6pm, local time on Thursday, May 16, 2019.

A statement by from Mr. Yakubu Dati, the State Commissioner of Information says  vehicular movement will be restricted, and all roads to the market closed for public safety.