Photo Desc.: A man in Nghar village, Gashish District weeps after losing his relatives - AFP

Graves of over 180 people killed in last year’s herdsmen attacks in Central Nigeria’s Gashish District have been ripped open.

The top soil covering the graves ‘sunk’ inwards, bringing back disturbing memories of the attacks, said Chairman of Gashish Development Association, Mr. Francis Chong on Sunday.

“These graves tearing open are a sad reminder of the traumatizing experiences the people of Gashish faced.

“Over 2000 children cannot go to school now because their parents were killed,” Mr. Chong told Journalists during a Church service in honour of the slain victims of the attack.

He asked government to rebuild the broken graves and provide security for thousands of people displaced to return to their homes.

Over 300 people were reportedly killed in the June 2018 attacks that started in Gashish District of Barkin Ladi Local Government Area, spreading to Ropp District, also in Barkin Ladi and Shonong District, in Riyom Local Government Area.

In Gashish alone, a total of 188 people, mainly women and children were killed, says Gashish Development Association.

Shonong and Ropp Districts recorded about 150 deaths, it is said.

Corpses of the slain victims of the violence were largely buried in a hurry by fleeing survivors of the attacks, it was learnt.

Government authorities had objected to a state burial while claiming a lower death toll.