Senator ID Gyang visits NPF Plateau State, vows legislative backing for optimal performance
JOS NIGERIA: Police in Central Nigeria have arrested a 15-year-old electrical engineering apprentice, Mr. Jerry Ngwe for allegedly faking his kidnap.
Mr. Ngwe, a resident of Kabong in Jos, the capital of Plateau State was arrested along with four of his accomplices on July 19, 2019.
His father, Mr. Jerry Vichi had reported his disappearance the previous day after leaving for work.
The next day being 19/07/2019 at about 1345hrs, he received a phone call from a hidden number informing him that his son was kidnapped by him and his gang and was taken far away from Jos.
The caller immediately demanded for a ransom of five hundred thousand naira (N500,000) for the complainant to secure the release of his son,” State Police Commissioner, Mr. Isaac Akinmoyede told journalists, Friday in Jos.
Police detectives however commenced investigations and found the kidnap to have been organized by the supposed victim, Akinmoyede said.
The suspects are among 44 paraded by the Police in connection to different crimes in the State.
Details of the arrests are contained in the following text of a media briefing:
MEDIA BRIEFING OF THE COMMISSIONER OF POLICE PLATEAU STATE COMMAND, JOS CP ISAAC AKINMOYEDE psc, fdc HELD AT THE POLICE COMMAND HEADQUARTERS JOS ON 15TH AUGUST, 2019.
Gentlemen of the press, I want to begin the press briefing by thanking the Almighty God for making it possible for us to witness one of the most peaceful Eid Al Kabir festivity on the Plateau. I thank all the good people of the state for once again demonstrating their peace-loving nature and proving once again that they could be counted on. I have called you this morning to brief you on some of the achievements of the Command in recent times.
1. Arrest of Eleven (11) Notorious Kidnap Suspects. On 05/07/2019 the Command after a painstaking analysis of the intelligence at its disposal carried out a well coordinated and sweeping raids of the hideouts of some kidnap suspects and that resulted in the arrest of the following:- (1) Bashiru Mohammed (2) Umar Adamu (3) Yusuf Adamu (4) Mustapha Mohammed (5) Shaibu Ado (6) Dantani Umar (7) Samaila Saranu Shitu (8) Adamu Mohammed (9) Hashimu Ya’u (10) Jibiro Damuna and (11) Abubakar Hassan, all males. During interrogation, Bashiru Mohammed and Umar Adamu confessed to have kidnapped a lot of persons and both mentioned Yusuf Adamu, Hashimu Ya’u, Mustapha Mohammed and Shaibu Ado as members of their syndicate responsible for the kidnap at Plateau State Polytechnic Staff Quarters, Haipang on 21/02/2019, Zawan and other places in Jos South Local Government Area of Plateau State. They further confessed that Bassa, Barkin Ladi and Mangu Local Government Areas have been their areas of operation. They also informed the Police during interrogation that they have also operated in Jos Metropolis. Similarly, Jibiro Damina and Dantani Umar confessed to being responsible for the kidnappings at Jengre axis of Bassa LGA. Investigation is still ongoing, the suspects will be charged to court soon.
2. Intelligence-led Recovery Of Firearms. On 20/06/2019 at about 1530hrs, the Plateau State Police Command received intelligence on some unknown kidnappers planning to attack and kidnap people in Kangel village of Shendam LGA. Based on the above intelligence, the policemen and intelligence officers were mobilized to neutralize the threat and arrest the criminals. At about 1830hrs of the same day the hoodlums took off from their base to Kalong Road but were intercepted by a team of Policemen dispatched to the area. On sighting the Police, the suspected kidnappers took to their heels abandoning two (2) unregistered Honda and Mahindra motorcycles. The hoodlums also abandoned a sack containing three (3) AK47 rifles, three (3) magazines loaded with 30 rounds of live ammunition each, 22 extra 7.62mm calibre ammunition, and one face mask among others. Detectives are still on the trail of the fleeing suspects.
3. Arrest of two (2) Suspects in a Case of Threat to Life and Kidnapping. On 31/07/2019 at about 0840hrs one Tabitha David ‘f’ of Fakkos Village in Bokkos Local Government Area of Plateau reported at the Bokkos Police Division that on 28/07/2019 at about 1354hrs she received a phone call from unknown persons with a hidden number. She further narrated that the caller asked her to keep the sum of two hundred thousand naira (N200,000) only for them or else they will kill her. On the receipt of the report, investigation commenced immediately which led to the arrest of Sale Abdullahi and Ahmadu Useni, both male, of Fakkos Village. It’s discovered in the course of investigation that the first suspect, Sale Abdullahi is the Secretary of Gam-Allah Fulani Association of Bokkos LGA while the second suspect Ahmadu Useni is the Ward Chairman of the same association also in Bokkos LGA of Plateau State. Both suspects have confessed to the commission of the crime. They will be charged to court very soon.
4. Arrest of Five (5) Suspects in a Case of Criminal Conspiracy and Kidnapping. On 19/07/2019 at about 1700hrs, one Jerry Vichi ‘m’ living behind Government Secondary School, Kabong at Rukuba Road, Jos reported at ‘A’ Division Jos that on 18/07/2019 at about 0830hrs, his son named Jerry Ngwe aged 15 years left his home to Darin-Gada, Jos where he is working as an apprentice at a motor vehicle electrical-wiring shop but did not return after the day’s job. He further stated that efforts made to trace his whereabout proved abortive. More worrisome was the fact that his son’s phone was switched off. The next day being 19/07/2019 at about 1345hrs, he received a phone call from a hidden number informing him that his son was kidnapped by him and his gang and was taken far away from Jos. The caller immediately demanded for a ransom of five hundred thousand naira (N500,000) for the complainant to secure the release of his son. The caller also threatened to kill his son if he informed the Police. Despite the warnings and threats, he could not keep the disturbing news to himself hence he reported to the Police. The Police succeeded in arresting five (5) suspects including the victim who offered himself to be kidnapped with the hope of extorting money from his father. Investigation into the case is still ongoing and the suspects will be charged to court soonest.
5. Arrest of one (1) suspect for Criminal Conspiracy, Armed Robbery and Belonging to Unlawful Society. On the 02/08/2019 at about 0100hrs detectives of the Command arrested one John Smith ‘m’ of Jenta Adamu with a locally-made pistol and two live ammunitions. Upon interrogation, the suspect confessed to belonging to a gang of armed robbers who specialized in robbing people around Jenta, Gada Biu, Rukuba Road and Farin Gada dispossessing them of their handsets, laptops, money and other valuable items. He also confessed to being a member of Black Axe Cult Group. He mentioned his cohorts as Gatuso the gang leader, Ugo, Tuksis and Alfa, all male, of Jenta Adamu whose surnames are yet unknown. Investigation is ongoing to arrest the suspects on the run.
6. Arrest of Three (3) Suspects for Culpable Homicide and Cult-related Activities. On the 02/08/2019 at about 1100hrs at Chorbe Junction by Abdulsalam Street Jos, some male youths numbering about twelve (12) drove in three tricycles to Chorbe Junction and on alighting from the tricycles, headed straight for a particular shop where they shot one Chinedu Okoye ‘m’ on the head who was rushed to the Plateau Specialist Hospital but unfortunately confirmed dead by the doctor on duty. The youths started shooting sporadically causing panic in the area. The shooting attracted soldiers of the Operation Safe Haven (OPSH) at Moonshine Hotel Junction checkpoint, who advanced to the area. On sighting the soldiers, the youths escaped in different directions while the tricycles also zoomed off. The soldiers fired at one of the tricycles forcing the rider one Lawan Ali ‘m’ 40yrs old of Angwan Rogo to stop. He sustained bullet wound and was rushed to the hospital while one Ezeala Augustine ‘m’ who came some minutes after the incident and attempted to move away the tricycle was also arrested by the Police. The two suspects are assisting detectives in investigation. Efforts are ongoing to arrest the suspects at large while the arrested suspects will appear in court soon.
7. Arrest of one (1) Suspect in a Case of Criminal Conspiracy and Attempt to Commit Offence to Wit: Culpable Homicide. On 20/07/2019 at about 1800hrs, one Seltim Kanalong ‘m’ of Shendam LGA confessed to the Police during interrogation that he was hired by one Hon. Nanlir Bindap ‘m’ of Bua Village in Langtang South LGA to kill one Yahaya Adamu ‘m’ of Kuka Village in Shendam LGA of Plateau State. The suspect also claimed that the AK47 rifle he attempted to use for the failed evil and criminal mission was given to him by a man simply known as K.K from Bua Village in Langtang South LGA. He further stated that while he was at the house of the victim (Yahaya Adamu), he attempted shooting him but the rifle could not fire as the magazine of the rifle was not well seated. He then ran away from the scene for his life and returned the faulty arm to its owner before he was arrested by the Police. The two suspects Hon. Nanlir Bindap and K.K are at large now but frantic efforts are ongoing to arrest them to account for the alleged crime.
8. Arrest of One (1) Suspected Kidnapper. On 22/07/2019 at about 2014hrs, one Aminu Hassan ‘m’ of Gboko LGA of Benue State was arrested by the detectives of the Command in connection with the kidnapping along Maraban Jamaa, Jos South LGA of one Maxwell Peters ‘m’ of Zaria Road Jos. The case is under investigation and the suspect will be charged to court soon.
9. Arrest of Four (4) Notorious Armed Robbery Suspects. On 26/06/2019 at about 2314hrs the Command received a distress call that armed robbers were operating in military uniform. The caller further stated that the armed robbers have just snatched a vehicle at Old Airport Area of Jos Metropolis. On receipt of the report, all patrol teams in the Command were placed on alert. The suspects namely Mohammed Usman, Jesse Adamu, Yahaya Hamza and Abdullahi Sani who specialised in snatching of vehicles at gunpoint were intercepted by the operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) of this Command with the stolen vehicle. On searching the suspects, one (1) English pistol loaded with three (3) rounds of live ammunition and two (2) pairs of military camouflage were recovered from the trio. Upon interrogation, two vehicles, a Toyota Venza and a Toyota Camry stolen at different places were recovered from the suspects.
Investigation led to further arrest of their criminal receivers viz, Abdullahi Sani and Yahaya Hamza, both males. The suspects will be charged to court upon completion of investigation.
10. Arrest of Two (2) Armed Robbery Suspects who Specialized in Robbing Shops. On 03/08/2019 the Command arrested three armed robbery suspects whose stock in trade is to rob shops within Zarmaganda Area of Jos South Local Government Area at gunpoint. They are Pam Davou and Andrew Enock all male. When the suspects were searched, a locally-made single barreled pistol with one live cartridge were recovered from them. The suspects are still undergoing interrogation. They will be arraigned in court soon.
11. Arrest of five (5) Highway Armed-Robbery Suspects. On 2/08/2019, Jengre Division with the assistance of the vigilante, arrested five suspects who specialize in robbing commuters along Jos/Jengre highway. Before now, there were reports of robbery of commuters which made the Command to step up patrol along the road. The suspects arrested on the fateful day are Nasiru Gambo, Abdullatif Abdulganiyu, Shamsu Ishiaku, Abel Maikarfi and Felix Ajayi. They will be arraigned in court after the completion of investigation.
12. Arrest of an Unrepentant Cultist. Following reports on the cult related activities and armed robbery around Old Airport Junction, the Command embarked on profiling based on victims’ descriptions which suits one Opara Chinonso ‘m’. On Saturday 03/08/2019 at about 1530hrs, detectives of the Command trailed and arrested him. On searching him one (1) locally-made pistol was recovered on his person. He will be charged to court as soon as investigation is over.
13. Arrest of a Suspect in a Case of Attempt to Commit an Offence to Wit Kidnapping and Procurement. On 06/08/2019 at about 1630hrs a team of operatives of the newly created Anti-Kidnapping Unit (AKU) acting on reliable intelligence arrested one Abdulsamad Musa ‘m’ age 19yrs of Bassa LGA Plateau State along Wild Life Park, Dong in Rantya Area of Jos. The intelligence at the disposal of the Unit revealed that some criminals were about to purchase two AK47 rifles at the sum of five hundred thousand naira (N500,000:00) each. On arrival at the scene, the operatives were able to arrest Adbulsamad Musa in connection with the offence while two of his accomplices namely Umar and Yahaya whose surnames are unknown escaped. Upon a search of the person of the arrested suspect, a sum of three hundred thousand naira (N300,000:00) and a sharp knife was recovered. Also recovered was a Bajaj motorcycle without number plate with chasis No. XMZA18AYXZWD26839. Investigation is still in progress.
14. Arrest of a Suspect in a Case of Criminal Conspiracy and Armed Robbery. On 28/06/2019 at about 2100hrs, one Stanley Samson ‘m’ of Sabon Line in Qua’an Pan LGA reported that while on his way from Namu village of Qua’an Pan LGA, unknown gunmen numbering about four (4) emerged from the bush, attacked and robbed him of his Bajaj motorcycle valued at one hundred and fifteen thousand naira (N115,000:00), one Tecno handset valued at eight thousand five hundred naira (N8,500:00) and a cash sum of twenty thousand naira (N20,000:00). Upon the report, the Police detectives swung into action and arrested one Hassan Umar ‘m’ of Namu village in connection with the crime. He confessed, during interrogation, to the commission of the crime. He mentioned his accomplices as Joro ‘m’ surname unknown and Buhari Boyi ‘m’ who are both at large. Effort is being made to arrest the fleeing suspects.
15. Arrest of a Suspect in the Case of Criminal Conspiracy and Robbery. On 21/07/2019 at about 2025hrs, one Mr. Danjuma Umar ‘m’ of Nassarawa Gwong, Jos North local government area reported at Laranto Police Divisional Headquarters that, on the same date at about 1930hrs, one Adbulmumini Adam aka Babawo ‘m’ conspired with one Abdullahi aka Pama ‘m’ of Kwanan Shagari, Jos North LGA, now at large to invade his shop at Yan Manja, Laranto market, the place where he sells chicken feeds. He stated further that he was attacked and robbed by the suspects of a cash sum of one hundred and twenty thousand naira (N120,000:00) and a Gionee P5W GSM handset valued twenty five thousand naira (N25,000:00). This prompted him to raise an alarm which attracted the neighbours leading to the arrest of one Abdulmumini Adams with a cash sum of fifty five thousand naira (55,000). His accomplice Abdullahi aka Pama while on hearing the voice of the complainant, took to his heels and escaped from the scene leaving his cohort. The suspect Abdulmumini Adams is currently undergoing investigation.
16. Arrest of Four (4) Suspects in a Case of Criminal Conspiracy and Culpable Homicide. On 22/06/2019 at about 2200hrs one Awalu Magaji ‘m’ of Yelwa Shendam was on his way from Ibi LGA of Taraba State to Yelwa Shendam in Shendam LGA, he was attacked by Yasir Sa’adu, Haruna Haranu, Ibrahim Isiaka and Yusuf Umar all ‘m’ of Yelwa Shendam who conspired among themselves and beat him with some planks as a result of which, he sustained serious injuries on his head. The victim was rushed to the hospital at Shendam for treatment but later died as a result of the injuries he sustained. Detectives of the Command swung into action and arrested the above named suspects while one of the suspects Imrana surname unknown, a co-conspirator is currently at large. The suspects will be charged to court very soon.
17. Arrest of Three (3) suspects in a case of Criminal Conspiracy and Culpable Homicide. On 09/07/2019 at about 2000hrs one Chorbe Gokum ‘m’ of Channel 7 Anglo-Jos reported at Anglo-Jos Divisional Police Headquarters that on the same date at about 1300hrs, he received a distress call from an unknown person who informed him that his younger brother named Danshak Gobok was seen in the pool of his blood tied to a pole along Abattoir market, Jos North LGA. That when he rushed to the scene, he found the dead body of his brother. That upon inquiry, he was told that his brother was arrested by the market security men on an allegation that he was a thief. He was beaten to state of coma and abandoned to die. The security men attached to abattoir namely David Mang, Emmanuel Kwadiri and Gaius Jonathan who carried out this dastardly act have been arrested. Case under investigation.
In all, the Command is parading a total number of forty-four (44) suspects with assorted exhibits and other items recovered across the State.
I want to thank the good people of Plateau State for their timely information which have helped the Command to nip some crimes in the bud.
This cannot be complete without a special recognition of members of the press for their prompt, effective and positive reportage of the Command’s activities.
Thanks and God bless you all